Championship round-up: Grayson sacked after Sunderland draw, Winnall brace helps Derby down Leeds

Leeds United 1-2 Derby County

Sam Winnall scored two second-half goals as in-form Derby inflicted more misery on Leeds with a 2-1 victory at Elland Road.

The on-loan Sheffield Wednesday striker took his goal tally to three in his last two games to ensure Gary Rowett's side came from behind to claim a fourth consecutive victory, extending their unbeaten run to seven matches.

Winnall repaid Rowett's faith for handing him a start by netting the equaliser from close range before converting from the penalty spot, although replays suggested Tom Lawrence was bundled over outside the box.

Pierre-Michel Lasogga fired Leeds into a deserved lead but a sixth defeat in their last seven games in all competitions, including three in a row at home, has heaped the pressure on boss Thomas Christiansen following the club's fine start to the season.

Sunderland 3-3 Bolton Wanderers

Sunderland twice came from behind to draw 3-3 against Bolton but it was not enough to prevent the men from Wearside equalling an unwanted record – or keep manager Simon Grayson in a job.

The battle of the Championship's bottom two saw both teams take the lead and lose it before Paddy McNair levelled things up for the final time with 11 minutes remaining.

The result meant the Black Cats tied an English league record of going 19 matches without a win on home soil, and they announced Grayson's departure just minutes after the full-time whistle.

Former Newcastle forward Sammy Ameobi put the visitors ahead in the 32nd minute only for Lewis Grabban to level just before half-time, and then put the hosts ahead with his second goal 13 minutes into the second half.

The Trotters turned the match on its head when Gary Madine scored two minutes later and Karl Henry added a third in the 67th minute, but the home team battled back – and stayed above the bottom club – when McNair struck from 20 yards.

Burton Albion 2-4 Barnsley

On-loan Everton midfielder Joe Williams scored a stunning 30-yard effort to help Barnsley seal all three points with an entertaining 4-2 win over struggling Burton at the Pirelli Stadium.

The England Under-20 international will probably struggle to score a more spectacular goal for as long as he plays the game after booming in a left-footed shot from long range.

The Brewers and the Tykes traded four goals in the first half as Lloyd Isgrove and Brad Potts twice put Paul Heckingbottom's side ahead only for Matty Lund and Lloyd Dyer to square it up again before the break.

Cardiff City 3-1 Ipswich Town

Cardiff returned to the top two of the Championship as goals from Junior Hoilett, Omar Bogle and Danny Ward gave them a comfortable 3-1 victory over Ipswich.

Neil Warnock's men had failed to find the net in both of their last two home games, but Hoilett's fourth league goal of the season gave them a narrow half-time lead.

Bogle's strike made it 2-0 right at the start of the second period and although Bersant Celina's late goal got Ipswich back into the game, Ward wrapped up the three points.

Fulham 0-2 Bristol City

Bristol City's impressive away form continued as they stretched their unbeaten run on the road to seven games with a 2-0 win at Fulham

The visitors, who have now won at Craven Cottage on their last four visits, went ahead after 29 minutes through Bobby Reid's ninth goal of the season and Korey Smith doubled their lead five minutes before half-time.

Any chance Fulham might have had of getting back into the game disappeared after 63 minutes when Aboubakar Kamara was sent off after a clash with City captain Bailey Wright.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic had called for an improvement in his team's home form, but they continue to struggle in front of their own fans, where they have not kept a clean sheet in 17 games.

Hull City 1-3 Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough clinched a second away victory in the space of four days after defeating Hull 3-1 to end a run of four straight losses at the KCOM Stadium.

Boro had clinched their first win in six Championship matches at Reading on Saturday and they made a fine start in east Yorkshire when Martin Braithwaite fired home after 13 minutes before Britt Assombalonga put them two goals to the good before half-time.

Substitute Kamil Grosicki pulled one back with a sumptuous finish in the 72nd minute, but Grant Leadbitter's late penalty, after Ashley Fletcher had been fouled by Michael Hector, killed off any hopes the Tigers had of a comeback.

To compound a miserable evening Hector was sent off just before Leadbitter's goal as Hull slipped to back-to-back defeats, having been beaten by Nottingham Forest at the weekend.

Norwich City 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolves moved back to the top of the Championship table after turning in an impressive performance to beat Norwich 2-0 at Carrow Road.

French defender Willy Boly nodded home his first goal for the club from a corner after 18 minutes to open the scoring before Leo Bonatini made the points safe with a smart finish midway through the second period.

With morning leaders Sheffield United losing 1-0 at QPR the visitors moved two points clear at the summit while a fifth home game without a win left the Canaries stranded in mid-table.

Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Sheffield United

An extraordinary error by goalkeeper Jamal Blackman proved costly for Sheffield United, who lost top spot in the Championship after being beaten 1-0 at QPR.

Idrissa Sylla's early goal clinched a second home victory in three days for Ian Holloway's side, who beat high-flying Wolves on Saturday.

However, Wolves capitalised on United's slip-up at Loftus Road by winning at Norwich to move back to the top of the table.

Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Millwall

Jordan Rhodes' first league goal since March helped ease the pressure on boss Carlos Carvalhal as Sheffield Wednesday beat Millwall 2-1 in the Championship.

Rhodes, a £10million signing from Middlesbrough, has hardly set Hillsborough alight since his January move which was made permanent in the summer, but struck the decisive goal just before half-time as the Owls won for only the second time in eight games.

Wednesday, whose fans have been chanting for Carvalhal's head in recent weeks, had taken the lead in the opening few minutes through Adam Reach, but Tom Elliott levelled for Millwall before Rhodes struck the decisive blow.

Neil Harris' men had chances to get back into the game, Shane Ferguson missing the best of them, but they remain winless on the road this season and ended the game with 10 men as Jake Cooper was dismissed in time added on.

Reading 3-1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest's promising push towards the Championship play-off places came to an abrupt halt when they lost 3-1 at lowly Reading.

John Swift scored early on in the game for Reading and added a second with 20 minutes to go.

Forest forced home goalkeeper Vito Mannone into a string of fine saves in the second half but were undone when their own keeper, Jordan Smith, diverted Sone Aluko's cross-shot into his own net.

Ben Osborn grabbed a consolation for Forest with four minutes left.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Original Article

Related Posts