Luton Town 3 (Moncur 3 & 73, Lee 53), Oxford United 1 (Garbutt 60)

OXFORD Uniteds nine-game unbeaten run came to an end as Luton Town wrapped up the Sky Bet League One title on the final day of the season.

George Moncurs third-minute free-kick sent the home side on their way.

The Us steadied themselves after the early setback, but fell behind to Elliot Lees strike shortly after half-time.

Luke Garbutts fourth goal of the season threatened to make the game interesting, before Moncurs second strike of the afternoon made the game safe.

The title celebrations could get under way, but United did not go out quietly as they searched for a way back into the game late on.

While it proved beyond them, the previous nine games had assured a top-half finish for Karl Robinsons side.

Illness ruled out Rob Dickie, so Nico Jones continued at centre half for Oxford United, who made two changes to their starting line-up as Jamie Mackie and Luke Garbutt replaced Jerome Sinclair and Gavin Whyte.

Lutons promotion had been rubber-stamped in midweek, but the title was still up for grabs.

They were in the box seats, knowing a victory would be enough to finish on top and roared on by a capacity crowd at Kenilworth Road came flying out of the traps.

In the third minute the experienced striker James Collins lured Jones into a foul 25 yards out.

Moncur stepped up and curled the ball around the United wall to beat Simon Eastwood, who was left to complain about the defensive preparations.

It was just the start Luton had dreamed, but within eight minutes the lead should have been wiped out.

James Henry intercepted a pass in the Luton half and slipped in Mackie, whose low shot was too close to James Shea and the goalkeeper made an excellent one-handed save diving to his right.

It was by far the clearest chance United forged before the break, although they did more than just hang on for much of the half.

Lightning almost struck twice for Moncur from a similar range, but his second free-kick of the afternoon clipped the side netting.

United were well in the game, but their hosts looked a real threat when the mood took them.

Just before the half-hour mark Collins was denied at point-blank range by Eastwood and from the rebound Lees shot was kept out by an acrobatic block from Jones.

The visitors could feel relatively pleased with themselves at the break, but the Hatters came on strongly at the start of the second half.

Lee had already forced a save when, on 53 minutes, he applied a classy final touch to a flowing move and make it 2-0.

It appeared to have wrapped up the title, but United did not cave in.

Whyte and Sinclair came off the bench to give the visitors far more of an attacking threat.

Within three minutes Whyte had driven inside and slipped a clever pass into Browne. The West Ham loanees shot hit the post, but fell for Garbutt to fire into the net.

For a spell they rattled Luton, who knew an equaliser couRead More – Source




Related Posts