Trump Announces He Will Attend Fireworks at Mount Rushmore on July 3
“Were getting them [the fireworks] at the great monument, were getting them, I got fireworks … it hasnt been allowed for environmental reasons, you believe that one, its all stone,” Trump said on The Dan Bongino Show. “Wheres the environmental reason? I got it approved so Im going to go there on July 3rd, and theyre going to have the big fireworks.”
News of Trumps attendance comes after the National Park Service (NPS) determined on Tuesday after an environmental assessment that the fireworks “would not constitute an impairment of the resources or values of Mount Rushmore National Memorial.”
Fourth of July celebration fireworks have not been held at Mount Rushmore since 2009 after the NPS under the Obama administration discontinued the event due to concerns related to the pine beetle infestation in the Black Hills National Forest and wildfire risks.
“Since that time, the forest has gained strength and advancements in pyrotechnics allow for a safe fireworks display,” read a South Dakota news release in May 2019.
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and the U.S. Department of the Interior had been working on logistics for the fireworks event since 2019.
“This year, after more than a year of diligent efforts, were finally bringing fireworks back to Mount Rushmore,” Noem said in a release on Friday.
“Theres truly no better place to celebrate Americas birthday,” she added. “Were excited that President Trump is coming to enjoy the show with us. He and the Department of Interior have been great partners in bringing this celebration back to our great state and the entire nation.”
Noem first raised the idea of fireworks with Trump in December 2018. On May 7, 2019, Noem Read More – Source