Inglis slams ‘appalling’ racism after abuse from fan at NRL game
South Sydney superstar Greg Inglis has broken his silence after being on the end of an alleged racial slur from a supporter during Saturday's game in Penrith.
"Without a doubt, I think racism in Australian society is appalling. That's it, full stop. It has to stop," he said at a Queensland State of Origin function in Brisbane on Wednesday.
"It's under NRL investigation and the police are in that so I can't make any further comments about that."
Penrith officials met the NRL on Tuesday to hand over their report on the incident, including witness statements, to the game's governing body.
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has said the perpetrator, who authorities hope to identify by the end of the week, would "no longer be welcome back in the game".
The NRL and wider community have rallied around Inglis, who was forced to endure similar racial slurs from an online troll five years ago.
Kangaroos and former Queensland coach Mal Meninga on Monday joined the calls for the fan in question to receive a life ban.
"I thought racial vilification was gone out of our game, it obviously hasn't," he said.
"I reckon Greg will be hurting, and I applaud him for his actions and hopefully they find the perpetrator and kick him out for life.
"It does make me angry because you know how much effort he [Inglis] puts in to the recognition of Aboriginal people and the work he does around the game."
Inglis declined to say any more on the subject when pressed on Wednesday.
But he would have been happy to hear Queensland coach Kevin Walters' ringing endorsement as he continues his comeback from a serious knee injury.
"I think with Greg, we made the mistake last year of leaving out one of our great players (Billy Slater). We paid a price for it and I think we'd be silly to make the same mistake again," Walters said.
"Just looking at him today in maroon … it's a nice feeling knowing that he's going to be playing Origin this year."